Monday, June 29, 2009

Linux, anyone?

I've been using Linux for several years...pretty much since college. Mostly on and off until 2 years ago,though, dual-booting with Windows. Then I went full steam ahead, and no longer use Windows at all (except at work...where I have to).

The first Linux distribution ("distro") I remember using was Red Hat. I think I still have the CDs somewhere. I struggled, and didn't really know what I was doing, but I still had Windows so it was okay.

As time progressed, updates kept coming, and Linux evolved. It got both easier and better.

I stopped using Red Hat, and tried out openSuse. I did not really care for openSuSe at all. I think this was version 10.2

At the suggestion of a friend, I tried Ubuntu. It was great. I was still using off and on at this point, and at one point got pretty into computer games, and stopped logging into Linux for a while. And then I logged in one day and updated. I forget what version I upgraded from/to (maybe 6.10 to 7.04? and then to 7.10?), but it had been a while. The new version was GREAT. the wireless actually worked, the NVIDIA driver worked also. everything was more as it should be, with less customization on my end. I've been hooked ever since. I am currently using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS "Hardy Heron."

The LTS is "long term support", which means it stays stable longer because it is updated less often, while getting security updates and bug fixes for longer. good stuff.

I am going somewhere with this, but I think I'll wait to update tomorrow. keep you hangin ;-)


Photobucket





0 comments:

Post a Comment